REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE IN OUR AUCTION
Auctions are held every February, May, August & November
1. All bidders must be assigned a bid number by Ward's Auctions to bid or consign items. You can sign up online or use the provided sign-up sheet in the back of our printed catalog and send it in by mail. If you do not know your bid number, password or are having trouble logging in, please call us. (DO NOT CREATE MULTIPLE ACCCOUNTS).
2. Payment: All bidders are required to have a credit card on file. Our web site is a SECURE SITE. There is an additional 3% fee if you pay with a credit card. This fee can be waived if paid by cash or check. Please contact Ward's Auctions for alternate payment options. Payment is due in full within 25 days of an auction ending. Bidders that have not paid their invoice within 25 days immediately following the auction will be notified & given a chance to send payment before we automatically charge the credit card on file. By agreeing to the “RULES OF THE GAME” when you sign up, you are authorizing us to charge your credit card for the full balance and ship your winnings if your invoice is not paid within the 25-day time frame. A legal contract is made when you bid on and win an item. If a bidder refuses to pay his or her account for any reason, we will charge your credit card for the full amount, and you will be banned from bidding in future auctions.
3. Bidding: Bids can be submitted as soon as the auction is posted on the internet. Bids can be submitted online, by phone, fax, or a mailed list. Bid numbers and lot numbers must be included in every communication with us, whether it be by phone, email, fax, or mailed lists. This helps eliminate any bidding errors. Bids received by phone are not the responsibility of Ward's Auctions. To ensure your bids are entered correctly, please send a legible hard copy to Ward's Auctions via e-mail, fax, or mailed list. Any mistakes made by incorrectly entering bids will be corrected after the auction closes. In some cases, this may result in the item being awarded to another bidder. Please understand that Ward's Auctions will always try to be fair. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
4. Bidding (cont.): You can bid online 24/7. Telephone bids can be placed Monday – Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm PST. (When bidding by telephone, please have a list ready). On the last day of the auction, phone lines are open from 8:00 AM UNTIL THE AUCTION CLOSES!
+ IMPORTANT!! At 5:00pm PST a 30 second timer will start and continue to reset until we do not get ANY bids on ANY lot for a full 30 seconds. (Example: if Bob places a bid on a fishing lure, the timer also resets for John who is bidding on a piece of artwork). This ensures all buyers can place their bids, and all sellers are satisfied that their product had the best chance to sell for the highest price.
5. Bid Increments: Bids are in increments of $1.00 or 5%, whichever is greater. (Our system will show you the next acceptable bid if you’re bidding online). Partial dollar amounts are always rounded up to the next whole dollar. The minimum bid for all lots will open at half the low estimate. If it’s an odd number, the system rounds up to the next whole dollar. (Example: Lot 20200 has an estimate of $25.00 to $50.00. The minimum opening bid is $12.50, rounded to $13.00.) Our system won’t recognize a bid that is less than half of the low estimate.
6. Reserves: All Reserve items that do not meet the reserve amount will be charged a $40.00 flat fee per item.
Reserves can be placed ONLY on items that are valued at $1000 or more.
Reserve items are designated by an asterisk "*" at the end of a description. Any reserve lot that does not sell at the conclusion of the auction can be held for re-run in a later auction or be returned to the seller.
NOTICE: If you choose to re-run an item that didn’t meet the reserve the first time, we will re-run the item, but it will be without a reserve the second time.
ALL RESERVES must be set or altered the day BEFORE the auction ends! We will not accept any changes to reserves on the last day of the auction. The only exception to the rule is if you remove the reserve on an item BEFORE 10:00am PST on the last day of the auction.
!!No changes can be made to ANY reserve after 10:00am PST on the last day of the auction!!
7. Automatic Increase of Spread Bids: When you choose to enter a spread bid, you give us your opening minimum and maximum bid amount. (Wards will input these bids if instructed by the bidder). If another bidder bids against you, the computer will automatically increase your bid by the minimum amount to beat a competing bidder; this will happen until someone beats your spread bid. At that point, you will receive an “Out-Bid” notification by email (Make sure this preference is checked in the “My Account” page). We will never raise your bid, only a competing bidder will raise it. Credibility is the most important part of this business. To make our clients feel more confident when placing spread bids, we offer to exchange the first name and telephone number of the second bidder at the winning bidder’s request for up to 3 items. You may request and immediately receive this information following any auction. Each participant in this auction must agree to this concept and recognize that his or her first name and contact information may be given to a competing bidder.
8. Withdrawal of bids: No bid can be withdrawn unless it’s determined by Ward’s Auctions that it’s a clear & honest error. Otherwise, there are no exceptions for withdrawing a bid.
9. Catalogs: Current Auction Printed Catalogs are $55.00 (U.S.) + Shipping. If you would like an Auction Catalog to be sent to you automatically, please contact us by phone or email to be added to the list. A $20.00 shipping charge will be added to foreign country orders, except Canada. If you pay by card, there will be a 3% Credit Card fee added to the total (waived if paid by cash or check).
10. Invoices: If you wish to have your invoice e-mailed to you immediately following the auction, you must call or e-mail your request the day following the auction. (Please have contact info updated). Invoices will be sent AFTER we have packed your items and figured the shipping costs.
NOTICE: Please allow 10 business days after the auction ends for us to get through the orders.
11. Shipping: Winning bidders are responsible for all shipping and handling fees. All packing & shipping is done in-house (except for special shipping). For firearms that require an FFL or C&R, we will need a current copy before the auction ends. You will not be charged a transfer fee from us, but the accepting FFL may have a fee. Please check with your local FFL. Bidders can request either USPS or UPS for shipment depending on their winnings. There are rules placed by shipping companies. (USPS- NO AMMO CAN BE SHIPPED VIA USPS), (UPS- NO GUNS & AMMO CAN BE SHIPPED TOGETHER, REGARDLESS OF TYPE & CALIBER), (UPS- HANDGUNS MUST GO 2ND DAY AIR). If no special request is made, we will use the least expensive carrier and method. By default, we will apply insurance for each package for its full value & require a signature unless instructed otherwise. We do not let any packages leave our warehouse until all items are accounted for. Normally, the first shipment of boxes goes out 8-9 business days after the auction ends. When payment is received, shipment will go out the same or next day depending on the carrier’s scheduled pick-up time.
+ IMPORTANT SHIPPING NOTE: please have contact information, addresses, payment method & licenses updated BEFORE the auction ends. If you make changes to any of that information AFTER the auction ends you need to call us and let us know! Our system does not give us automated updates when those are changed!!
+ DAMAGED SHIPPING BOXES: If you receive your box and it has been damaged in route, please keep the original shipping box as well as the packaging materials used. Shipping companies require that photos be taken when dealing with a “Damaged Goods” claim & you will need to submit evidence of the damaged box/goods.
12. Special Shipping: Unusual, large, heavy, or fragile items will require special shipping arrangements resulting in additional costs. Bidders are responsible for any special arrangements or additional costs that are incurred in that process.
13. International Sales: It is the bidders’ responsibility to know the laws of their country and arrange customs clearance and any other special accommodation needed when purchasing firearms & ammunition.
Domestic Sales: It is the bidders’ responsibility to understand and know the laws of the state in which you reside when it comes to purchasing firearms & ammunition. Any special accommodation that is needed will need to be arranged by the bidder.
14. Sales Tax: Sales taxes are not charged to any bidder. It is the responsibility of each bidder to pay any sales tax due in their state.
15. Buyers and Sellers’ Premiums: Premiums are applicable to all sales. Please see chart below for premiums for buyer and seller.
$ PER LOT ITEM
$1.00 TO $25.00
$26.00 TO $200.00
$201.00 TO $1000.00
$1001.00 ON UP
16. Our Guarantee: All lots in the auction have been inspected and graded by our appraisers. We will always strive to be painstakingly accurate and honest in the grading of all items to the best of our ability and within the guidelines of the grading scale below. Ward's Auctions’ entire business is based on integrity and honesty. Without that, we lose all credibility.
17. Issued Payments: Ward’s cuts ALL checks approximately 45 days after the auction ends. The allotted time gives us the opportunity to acquire all funds, deal with any returns and redistribute the funds back to our sellers. We appreciate your patience during this period.
Notice: Bidders who pay by check and return an item will get their refund at this time too.
18. Returns: Ward’s has a 30-day return policy from the day the auction ends. This policy is on a per item basis. Returns will be issued in the original form of payment or auction credit, whichever the buyer prefers. Wards will be as understanding as possible in dealing with returns, but some situations do not constitute a return of an item. If the winner is dissatisfied with the grading of the item, you can call us to discuss the grading and possible return of an item. In the case of an authenticity mistake, we will honor the return of any item if you can provide us with proof that it contradicts our description. Notice: if you do not pay your invoice within the 30-day return period, you are not eligible to return any purchased items. NO RETURNS ON BARGAIN LOTS! By agreeing to the “RULES OF THE GAME”, you are agreeing to this policy.
19. Issued Payments: Ward’s cuts ALL checks approximately 45 days after the auction ends. The allotted time gives us the opportunity to acquire all funds, deal with any returns and redistribute the funds back to our sellers. We appreciate your patience during this period.
Notice: Bidders who pay by check and return an item will get their refund at this time too.
IMPORTANT! We cut ONE check, regardless of the amount. If you wish to have your total amount broken up into smaller increments, there will be a $10 fee for every additional check we have to write. Please contact us after EACH auction if you want multiple checks!!
20. Grading: Ward's Auctions grades conservatively. Accurate and concise grading is taken very seriously, and we pride ourselves in obtaining a high accuracy level.
AMMO NOTICE: Ammo boxes that come to us sealed are not opened and examined for correctness or number of rounds. We depend on the consignor’s integrity when consigning sealed boxes.
FIREARMS NOTICE: We are not licensed gunsmiths, and no firearm is test fired. Internal parts and mechanical operation are not guaranteed on any lot. If used, the term "mechanically sound" refers only to the imitated operation of an item and is only our opinion as to correctness & functionality. We therefore recommend that ALL firearms be inspected by a licensed gunsmith before operating.
21. Grading Scale:
1. Mint---item shows little to no wear/damage. 97% of new.
2. Excellent---item shows very moderate wear or damage so as not to detract from overall appearance. 90% to 97% of new.
3. Very good---item shows some wear and moderate damage, but overall appearance is still 80% - 90% new with exceptions as noted.
4. Good---item shows significant wear, damage, or soiling, but overall appearance is 70% to 80% new with exceptions as noted.
5. Fair---item shows significant wear, repair, damage, or soiling with overall appearance being 50% to 70% new.
6. Poor---item shows damage, wear, repair or soiling to the point that appearance is ugly and not desirable. Would be acceptable only as a representative item. 0% to 50%.
*7. The use of +’s and -"s to denote degrees of condition may refine the grade of an item. Ex: VG++ means the item shows some minor problem but still is clean and approaching the higher end of the grade scale.
*8. Occasionally the catalog description and the photo numbers do not match. Always bid the number of the item on the description page and not the number on the photo.
*9. When a description of a folded brochure is given the size is referring to the folded size and not the unfolded size unless otherwise noted.
22. List of abbreviations we commonly use:
NOS: NEW OLD STOCK
NIB: NEW IN BOX
RH Web: Roger Huegel Website
H/S: = HEADSTAMP
FN= FLAT NOSE
FLT. HD = FLAT HEAD
R/R = RAISED RING (ON HEAD)
N/H = NO HEADSTAMP
PRI. = PRIMER
RINGED PRI. = PRIMER POCKET HAS RING WITH PRIMER INSIDE (USUALLY BRASS)
CS = CASE
CNN. = CANNELUR ON CASE
2-H = TWO HOLE (DUMMY)
W/R = WOOD ROD
SP = SOFT POINT
COP. = COPPER
CN. = CUPRONICKLE
GM = GILDING METAL
FP = FULL PATCH OR
FMJ = FULL METAL JACKET
PP = PAPER PATCH
LD = LEAD
KN = KNURL
H.P. = HOLLOW POINT
GRV. = GROOVE
PTD = POINTED
RN = ROUND NOSE
BN = BOTTLE NECK
NPE = NEW PRIMED EMPTY